Vitamin C toxicity - Impact on health and problems

Home > Vitamin C toxicity

Vitamin C toxicity is possible and overdose can cause health problems like upset stomach and diarrhea.
It is feared that very large overdose of vitamin C can cause many possible toxicity problems on the gastrointestinal,secretory, immunity and reproductive systems.

In experiments overdoses of ascorbic acid have been found to cause vomiting, nausea, face and skin flushing, headache, migraine, fatigue, diarrhea, dizziness and sleep disturbances.

Large doses can cause indigestion, gastritis, heartburn and poor absorption.

Large quantities of supplements can cause greater absorption of iron in the body, leading to its toxicity.

There is a possibility of developing kidney stones with oxalate deposits on use of high quantities of ascorbic acid.
Excess quantity of vitamin C can acidify urine and increase uric acid in the urine.

Excess ascorbic acid may interfere with the pro oxidant-antioxidant balance in the human body and reversely lead to decrease in immunity.

In children severe skin rashes and abdominal cramps have been observed on high ascorbic acid ingestion.

Chronic chewing of tablets of ascorbic acid can lead to dental erosion.

Infants of mothers who were taking extra vitamin c during pregnancy may sometime develop scurvy.

There is increase in the possibility of preterm birth with increased intake of these supplements in pregnant women.

Overdose of ascorbic acid has been suspected to suppress progesterone production and cause early miscarriages in experiments on rats.

Hence safety of excess of these supplements in pregnant women is under scrutiny.

Excess consumption has been found to decrease the mitochondrial production and reduce endurance capacity.
,br />
Persons who are on high levels of these supplements on withdrawal develop symptoms of scurvy. They must be advised to reduce the dose gradually.

Some persons are allergic to vitamin C supplements and overdose of vitamin C in them can cause alarming reactions.

Hence it is advised not to consume vitamin C above the upper tolerance level of 2000 mg/day and avoid toxicity.

Related posts:
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
Overdose - Too much
Side effects
Foods - Sources

Current post:
Very high doses of vitamin C and toxicity.

No comments: